Open a company in Belgium
Why open a company in Belgium?
Belgium lies at the political heart of the European Union and it is the most cosmopolitan of all EU states. It has a strong free-market approach to businesses and the authorities impose relatively few restrictions on foreign companies operating within the country. It is also the most prosperous country in the EU apart from Luxembourg.
What are the most common types of Belgium company formation?
- Société Anonyme / Naamloze vennootschap (S.A. / N.V): company limited by shares
- Société privée à responsabilité limitée / Besloten Vennootschap met Beperkte Aansprakelijkheid (SPRL / BVBA): private limited liability company.
Foreign companies seeking Belgium incorporation may operate either through a subsidiary (incorporated under Belgian law) or as a branch (incorporated under the law of the country where the parent is based).
What is the share capital required to establish a company limited by shares (S.A. /N.V.)?
For a subsidiary, the minimum share capital is €61.500, which must be fully subscribed and paid up. For a branch, no minimum capital is required.
What are the formalities regarding incorporation a S.A. /N.V. in Belgium?
- Incorporation by deed through a notary
- Articles of association to be published in Belgian Official Gazette
- Language of documents to be French or Dutch according to city
- Two-year preliminary financial plan required
- Branch must file parent company's accounts with National Bank of Belgium
What other requirements are there for a S.A. /N.V.?
- At least two shareholders, and at least three directors
- Statutory audit annually
- No residency or nationality requirements
- A local serviced office is advisable
What are the requirements to establish a private limited liability company S.P.R.L. /B.V.B.A. in Belgium?
- Minimum share capital is €18.600, of which at least €6,200 must be paid up.
- The company has to have at least one shareholder
- This form of company admits only one director
- Shareholders are responsible only for the assets they brought into the business
How easy is it to recruit staff?
The country has an advanced recruitment sector, including clerical and secretarial staff. Labor costs are high and generous welfare benefits are matched by high national insurance contributions for both employers and employees. In Dutch-speaking Flanders, the most prosperous region, there is strong demand for skilled workers, particularly in IT and other technical fields. In contrast, there is an unemployment problem in French-speaking Wallonia, notably for unskilled workers.
What is the regulatory environment like in Belgium?
Belgium guarantees the freedom to set up a company and transfer capital to all foreign companies and to any foreign investor who wishes to settle in the country, in order to start a commercial or industrial operation.
- No prior authorization needed except for certain types of business such as banking, insurance and transport
- Foreign capital may be brought into the country without restriction
- No preliminary authorization required for takeovers or joint ventures
- Variety of tax breaks, including one which allows a multinational company to provide financial and managerial services virtually tax-free.
What is the corporate tax rate in Belgium?
The corporate tax rate is 33.99% on profits.
Company Registration in Belgium
Are there financial incentives available?
Financial incentives are available but vary widely according to location:
- Flanders offers financial aid to SMEs starting up in established industrial zones or in industrial development zones; funding is also available to larger companies; extra incentives are in place for biotech companies and for businesses involving environmental controls
- Wallonia offers help with the purchase of land, buildings, equipment and project-related investment costs; aid is also available for investment in areas such as product development, licensing and market research
- Brussels may provide investment grants, initial exemption from withholding taxes in certain cases, interest free loans for industrial research, grants for employment of some categories of job-seekers and aid for technical and language training.
How much does it cost to open a company in Belgium?
Our service costs €9.715 and it includes: company incorporation in Belgium, opening of bank account and VAT (fiscal) registration, virtual office for 12 months and Belgian telephone number.
How can I obtain more information about opening a company in Belgium?
Please contact us if you have questions and/or want to receive more information on opening a company in Belgium.
The benefits of having your own company are virtually unlimited. Opening and managing a company with Europa Expert’s orientation is even simpler and easier. We provide all the needed support to open and manage your company in Belgium.
Services we provide
|Consulting for new companies (company’s name, website, etc.)|
|Bank account in Belgian bank|
|Business Address and Mailbox in Belgium|
|Fiscal registration (VAT)|
|Accountancy (according to Belgian Law)|
|Annual tax declaration|
|Virtual Office in Belgium|